Friday 6 March 2015

Day 1 - We arrived in Mombasa


Over the next few weeks I shall be posting my experiences from my trip to Mombasa, Kenya. I actually wrote these posts last week while I was in Mombasa, to remind myself of what I had been doing each day and to also make it more cohesive for you all reading this to see what I did with my days there!

The flight from London to Kenya was like a dream, everything about the aircraft was beautiful, the lighting in the cabin, the windows, the movie selection, (they had all the classics including: Police Academy, Big, The Mask, Bedazzled, Batman Begins and The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) and most importantly, the beautiful view! As we descended into Nairobi, we were greeted by a beautiful sunrise; I guess you could say this was the beginning of something beautiful, such beautiful colours all blending together. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a picture as we were pushed for time but it was something I will always remember!

Flying from Nairobi to Mombasa was an amazing experience in itself, I was lucky enough to get a window seat. Now every time we have travelled to Kenya we have passed Mount Kilimanjaro but for one reason or another we've never actually seen it from the aeroplane, it's always been shrouded by thick clouds; but this time we were blessed with an amazing view of it, and the cherry on top of the cake was that we could see the newly formed snowcap on the peak of the mountain!


The minute I stepped off the plane, I literally started to melt from the heat! Travelling from London where the temperature was about 5-6 degrees to go to Mombasa where the temperature was around 30+ degrees C was a ridiculous change!

Last time we travelled to Mombasa, I didn't really explore with my camera, this time I have challenged myself to bring home some beautiful pictures I'd feel proud putting on my wall.

After arriving at the cottages where we were staying, we unpacked; I grabbed my camera and headed straight for the beach. The tide was out which had left little pools of water which contained little shelters for the sea life to inhabit. My parents spotted a school of angel fish hiding amongst the reeds, I slowly approached them, crouching down to get a better angle and captured a few frames.



Anyone else think the angelfish looked like tiny killer whales?


Later that afternoon, just before sunset we decided to visit my grandmother and aunties, we arrived just as the Sun was setting; I went up to say hi to everyone and raced upstairs to the open rooftop and set up my camera and tripod, only to see the Sun disappearing behind the buildings…

I was so annoyed but luckily enough there was so much cloud cover and the clouds were moving really fast, I had an idea, found an interesting composition, and focused on the moon. I was lucky enough to get some beautiful pictures as the moon was rising and some more after the sky had darkened a bit.


After finishing upstairs, we went out to pick up some food for my grandmother and aunties, I was really pleased to see my grandmother’s health had improved since last year. After sitting with her and my auntie, they fell asleep, we put them to bed and went back to the cottages.

Arriving home, I set up my tripod and attempted to capture a few pictures of the Palm trees that surround the cottages, I am happy with them but feel there are areas of improvement, I will try again tomorrow!


I am currently wrapped up in my mosquito net it is so refreshing to hear the sounds of nature outside, from the crashing waves of the sea to the gentle chirping of the crickets, I feel this holiday has begun wonderfully and I pray it stays on the same track and leads to some beautiful memories and some unforgettable moments for me to capture!


Links to the rest of the holiday are below!
Day 1 || Day 2 || Day 3 || Day 4 || Day 5 || Day 6 || Day 7 || Day 8 || Day 9 || Day 10

No comments:

Post a Comment